Vegan cherry marzipan loaf recipe: A simple, satisfying sweet treat



I love a bargain. There's something that goes off in my my lizard brain when I see a reduced sticker, and I'm powerless to resist. After Christmas, I'm a sucker for snapping up all the steeply discounted Christmas puddings, mince pies, and al lthe other festive leftovers. One of the puddings I bought this year doesn't go off until after next Chrsitmas, and the other tasted just as good in January as it would have in September.

One of my post-Chrimbo bargains was a box of vegan marzipan for 9p. Who could turn that down?

What to do with my almond bounty though? My perference would ultimately be to eat the whole lot straight away, because marzipan is just good on its own. But was there anything else I could do with it?!


The answer is of course make an almond and cherry loaf! It's a simple, and simple to make, cake that doesn't take a whole lot of time or work to put together. The only really hard part is waiting for the cake to cook!


It also freezes well, so you can always save some for later (if you can resist eating the whole lot in one go!) 

So, without further ado, here's the recipe:

Vegan cherry marzipan loaf recipe
Ingredients
125g vegan butter
85g vegan sugar
200g self raising flour plus one extra tablespoon
125g marzipan, grated
200g glace cherries, halved
160g (roughly a quarter cup) vegan yoghurt

Directions
  1. Grease a loaf tin, and preheat your oven to 180C
  2. Cream the sugar and butter together until you have a mixture that looks like a bit like breadcrumbs
  3. Then add the flour and marzipan to the sugar-butter mixture, and stir everything together.
  4. Mix in the yoghurt until you have something that looks like cake batter!
  5. Rinse the glace cherries to get rid of the sugar syrup on the outside, drain, then toss them in the remaining tablespoon of flour
  6. Bake for one hour, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.

Comments

  1. Ummm. The marzipan and self raising flour are added to the vegan butter-sugar mix? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops, sorry, missed that step out! I've amended the recipe now

      Delete
  2. This combines like TWO of my very favourite things AND I have leftover marzipan at home.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - box of vegan marzipan for 9p! Like you I like a bargain, but i must admit i haven't done much shopping recently. I like the sound of this cake as marzipan is not something i bake with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts