Katsu curry at home


I love katsu. It's that grand balance of protein, carbs, veggies and spicy stuff.

Before I went vegan, it was my go-to food in Japanese restaurants. Afterwards, that honour went to ramen or tempura whenever the restaurant had the good sense to leave the egg out. Yet, for all my love of katsu, it's never occurred to me to make it at home.

No more of that nonsense - I present to you vegan katsu, made by my own fair hand.

Well, not so much my own fair hand. The protein complement was provided by Fry's, and the sauce was provided by the local supermarket. But I did boil the rice and steam the veggies - I get some bonus points for that, right?

OK, so it might not have been as pretty as a restaurant would have made it, and maybe not as fresh - but it was filthily tasty, cheap and I got to eat it on the sofa while watching reruns of Spaced. And what restaurant can promise that?

Comments

  1. I've never heard of katsu but it sounds perfectly satisfying. You've really hit on what makes not dining out so fun - tv reruns, also - pajamas are considered appropriate clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should open a restaurant where you're allowed - any, encouraged - to bring your PJs, and every table comes with a massive telly and Tivo?

      Delete
  2. I've not had Katsura before, thank you for the introduction! Full bonus points for the rice and veggies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, boiling rice and getting the veggies ready counts! What sauce did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a Blue Dragon one - I tried to pick one that was pleasantly free from all the usual e-numbers and other unnecessary rubbish!

      Delete
    2. Ha ha, I would totally go to that restaurant! This is a great idea for Katsu, I always used to get it at Wagamama in pre-vegan days. What Fry's product did you use? Did it come breadcrumbed or did you add them?

      Delete
  4. I lurve Japanese food, but have never had katsu! That veggie meat looks really good - we don't have the brand over here in Canada. What kind of sauce goes with katsu?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts