Vegan gammon and pease pudding recipe: Vegan MoFo

I think it's technically impossible for me to say pease pudding without following it with 'pease pudding hot, pease pudding cold, pease pudding in the pot nine days old'.

If you think that sounds like gibberish, you'd be right. It's a nursery rhyme that comes from the 18th century and until not too many decades ago would be a song that all little kids would have known. I remember singing it before having any idea of what pease pudding actually was!

But, like pease pudding itself, the nursery rhyme has fallen out of favour.

I'm not surprised. I remember my parents eating this weird gelatinous yellow crap out of a can and telling me it was pease pudding. Sure, I thought, like I'm putting that odd jaundiced wallpaper paste in my mouth. And that's where my relationship with pease pudding began and ended.

For this Vegan MoFo, I decided to get reacquainted, hoping it wouldn't be one of those awkward meetings after years of absence like when the kid who used to suck your hair at primary school gets back in contact on Facebook.

What's even in pease pudding, I wondered.

Turns out it's super simple:

You get half a bag of yellow split peas (225g over here) and chuck it in an ovenproof dish, add a bayleaf, an onion cut into sixths and a large carrot chopped into quarters. Barely cover with stock, then cover with foil. Bake in the oven at 180C for an hour or an hour and a half until it's until breaking down into a thick porridgey mixture. Blend for a bit if you like.

Traditionally, you would have served it with roast gammon - and handily there's a vegan equivalent out there in the form of Redwoods gammon-style roast, which is what I've used here.

It's way better than I ever remember - rich and comforting. I guess I should have given pease a chance earlier.


Comments

  1. So that's what pease pudding is! I was never fed the stuff as a child but do remember that nursery rhyme well. It's kinda another version of mushy peas but with split peas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaundiced wallpaper paste? Ha ha ha! Awesome. Your version definitely does not bear that resemblance. Also that gammon roast looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pease pudding, but have always boiled it in a muslin cloth x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Redwood's 'Gammon' looks really tasty! And I'd be interested in trying pease pudding, as I have a HUGE bag of split peas to get through (they were super cheap so I had to have them!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the name - it sounds really quirky and fun! I am familiar with Redwoods products, but I haven't seen or tried the gammon-style toast before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it just me, or does that seem a little like Ethiopian food? In other words, I'LL TAKE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little bland for Ethiopian food. It's missing all the spices and buttery stuff.

      Delete
  7. Give pease a chance — hahaha! I never thought about what pease porridge might be even though I know the rhyme well. There's a second part that goes, "Some like it hot. Some like it cold. Some like it in the pot nine days old." What's that all about? I had to look up gammon, which turns out to be ham, more or less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nine days old probably refers to the habit of some poorer folk to keep a pot of some stewy stuff on the hob at all times. It would be heated up every day and just added to with whatever there was available.

      Delete
  8. Pease pudding sounds great to me as I adore split peas. I've not heard of it previously but am keen to try it out one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny! I've always heard it as "peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold..." I wonder what other nursery rhymes vary slightly by country.

    Split pea soup is one of my favorite fall/winter soups. I'm sure I'd enjoy this use of yellow split peas with a bay leaf, onions, and carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh but surely your home cooked version is far superior to anything out of a tin - have been listening to that song on one of our cds last week on our road trip - hopefully our 4 year old will not find pease pudding such an odd idea when she is older - I make split pea soup each winter because I love it and think it is not that far from pease pudding

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'ver heard thay nursery rhyme before, I'm old school like that ;) My nan used to make pease pudding all the time and I would always refuse to eat it! I'm sure I'd like it now but your jaundiced wallpaper paste seems like a pretty acurate description.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This, looks delicious, I will try it out. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts