Kale and roast potato gratin


The following recipe I made last week and thought 'That's a keeper, I'll stick that one up on the blog when I get a chance'. I promptly forgot all about it.

I discovered it this morning when browsing through the photos on my camera and uncovered shot after loving shot of this gratin recipe. I felt like a blogging squirrel - after putting something by for the winter months, I let all thoughts of my handy stash go out of my head.

This recipe still deserves an airing. It's more in the winter comfort food line and makes a light dinner for two people with a bit of salad and a crusty roll.

It also makes a great heavy dinner for one person in front of the telly in jogging bottoms with your phone on silent.


Ingredients

Oil
Two cloves of garlic
Two shallots, finely chopped
75g of kale, chopped and hard stalks removed
5 large charlotte potatoes, quartered
150ml of vegan cream
100ml of vegan milk
Two dessertspoons of nutritional yeast
Juice of quarter of a lemon
A teaspoon of thyme
Salt and pepper

How you do it

Fry the garlic and shallots in oil until soft. Then add the kale and wilt - allow the liquid to come out and evaporate. Set to one side.

While all that's going on, boil the quartered charlottes for five minutes, then drain.

Heat some more oil over a high heat and then fry your spuds until golden on the sides.

Add the spuds to the garlic-kale combo and mix thoroughly. Put in an ovenproof dish.

Then mix the rest of the ingredients - the cream, milk, yeast, thyme, salt and pepper together in a bowl or jug and pour over the spuds and kale.

Bake in a 200 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until the spuds are cooked through and the top is brown.

Comments

Popular Posts