Borough Market for vegans

I last published a post about Borough Market's vegan options a few years ago, and it's been really popular ever since. Rather than leave you with a list of places that's five years out of date, I thought it was time to write about how the number of vegan options has grown and grown since then.

I think if I had to pick my one favourite place to eat in Borough Market, it would be a toss up between Gujarati Rasoi and Horn OK Please, with the latter just edging it by a nose.

Both are veggie but have a goodly amount of vegan choices. If you find your face on the receiving end of a dosa from Horn OK Please, you'll not have steered yourself wrong. That said, Horn OK Please normally have three or so dishes on their menu, two of which are normally vegan, so anything you get from them is probably not going to do you wrong.



 Gujarati Rasoi also does a nice line in boxes of takeaway Indian food, and if you're hungry (or greedy, like me) make sure you get an onion bhaji to accompany your meal. It's the size of a cricket ball, so having a bhaji loving friend that can take over the eating if you start flagging is no bad thing.

If you're more in mind of a burger, then Borough Market has you covered there too - there's a vegan burger stall that's calling your name. The stall used to be called The Veggie Table, and sold both vegan and veggie items, but underwent a vegan conversion a while back and now goes by the name of the Big V.

There are three vegan burger options to choose from, as well as salad. I've not had a change to try them, but they look pretty good to me - next time I'm around Borough, put me down for a cheeseburger.

The other all-vegan stall at Borough Market is Koshari Street Food, which dishes up platefuls of the traditional Egyptian dish. I can confirm it's really tasty - a mix of rice, pasta, and lentils, served with a ttabbouleh type mix, caramelised onions, chick peas, and spicy or non-spicy sauce. It's one ot those great dishes where every spoonful you get is different, thanks to the many elements, but always equally delicious.


Balkan Bites stall also offers a vegan choice in the form of a potato and onion bourek. Again, I've not had a chance to try these myself, but I am a sucker for anything wrapped in pastry, so I'd certainly be very happy to give them a try.

if you're  looking for something vegan and sweet, you've got a couple of options. The Turkish Deli stall does a range of interesting flavours of Turkish Delight. If you're craving a little sugar to round off your meal but you don't want a full on dessert, a couple of cubes of Turkish delight (try the pine sap) and a cup of Turkish coffee, and you'll leave a happy bunny.


There's also a stall called the Free From Bakehouse that does a range of allergy-friendly cakes including wheat-free, dairy-free and vegan (some all three). There are vegan cupcakes, flpajacks, and muffins to be had. The cakes often seem a bit dry to me, which may be a side effect of the gluten-free ness, though getting a cupcake means the generous amount of icing should help make up for that.


If you're looking for food that you can cook yourself, rather than something readymade, Borough is full of them.

There are lots of really good greengrocers to stock up on all the fruit and veg your heart desires. Ted's Veg, Chegworth Valley, and Elsey and Bent are good all rounders, while Jock and Son's do some good bargains, while Turnips caters for those with bigger pockets in search of more exotic veggies.


Comments

  1. My boyfriend used to live right near Borough and he is always going on about it. He is a turkish delight hater so he has never mentioned that stall. I, on the other hand like you love the stuff. Will definitely have to check out some of that pine sap flavour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I tried all the flavours that sounded the strangest (I think carrot and something was in there too) and they turned out to be the absolute best!

      Delete
  2. I was at Borough Market a couple of weeks ago with some friends and was disappointed by the lack of vegan stalls/vegan options at stalls (compared to other markets like Spitalfields, Sunday Upmarket at Brick Lane or Camden). I looked and looked for The Veggie Table but couldn't find it... Doesn't seem like I missed out on much though from the sounds of your burger experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they were just having an off day - I'm tempted to go back another time to see if I just had a bad experience.

      I was also surprised there aren't more veg*n stalls - I heard Whitecross market is fairly vegan friendly, but I've not been there myself yet. Have you?

      Delete
  3. Oh god, I would spend way too much money at Turnips. I have this compulsion to buy weird veggies when I see them around. I'd be all, "wtf is a bull's eye tomato? Who knows, better buy it to find out!" Too bad about the veggie burger, it always pains my heart to eat sub-par veggie burgers. I mean, they're representing vegans everywhere! I don't want people going around thinking that I eat shitty food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it in a nutshell - I fear that people will try the superveg burgers and go "what? If that's what those animal-dodgers eat, no way am I signing up!" Next time I'll just send them to Turnips and say "that's what we eat - nothing but bull's heart tomatoes and salsify!"

      Delete
  4. Thanks for updating us on the latest vegan options. I go through London Bridge regularly but sadly it tends to be at times the market isn't open, or when I'm dashing home. I'm definitely due a revisit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome is this market?! Very cool! And what an interesting name: Horn OK Please! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would probably head right for the dosas, especially if they are filled with potato. I'm fond of Indian food. I just can't believe how options for vegan eating places have expanded since I was in London. There were some choices, but nothing like you describe. In fact, we had many of our meals in traditional Indian restaurants, because they were usually the best options.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much vegan goodness in one area! I would be paralyzed with indecision among all those amazing choices. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts