Vegan MoFo day 4 - is rhubarb and custard a weird food combo?

Today's vegan mofo challenge is inspired by blogpost from A Soy Bean. "Can someone explain this one to me? I think that rhubarb & custard might be a British thing," she wrote of a rhubarb and custard Nakd bar.

That got me thinking - is rhubarb and custard not a thing in America? Is it a weird food combo to you guys? In that case, I'm shamelessly shoehorning it into today's MoFo!

Apparently, rhubarb has been a big thing in the UK since a new-and-improved variety was created to honour Queen Victoria's coronation, and the combo of rhubarb and custard has since lent its name to boiled sweets and a popular kids cartoon. It also lives on in dessert form. (Alright, alright, it's not that weird of a combination over here at all, but I'm hoping it can squeeze it under the wire for today. After all, rhubarb's technically a vegetable and eating your veggies with custard is a bit on the odd side whatever side of the pond you're on.)

My offering for today is a rhubarb and custard tart - a lovely, weird combo, all wrapped up in a pastry case.



Rhubarb and custard tart

Ingredients
Four sticks of rhubarb, chopped into 5cm lengths
2tbsp of brown sugar
35g of icing sugar
25g custard powder
One box Mori-Nu silken tofu or equivalent
Pinch of turmeric or annatto
One prepared pie case (or 330g Jus-Rol shortcrust, put into greased tart dish, baked for 20 minutes with baking beans at 200C)

How you do it
Preheat the oven to 160C.
Put the rhubarb into a glass dish, and sprinkle the brown sugar over it. Bake for 30 minutes, remove the rhubarb from the oven and turn it up to 180C.
Blend icing sugar, custard powder, turmeric and annatto, and silken tofu until mixed.
Spread the tofu mix over the pie case, and lay the rhubarb on top.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tofu is set.


Comments

  1. Well this sounds very tasty! Happy MoFo! I'm over at http://MyBlissfulJourney.com if you want to swing by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhubarb is something that we eat in the States, but I've never heard of it in custard. We make jams and pie out of it. It never looks like it's original form. I remember being a little girl eating rhubarb jam on my toast. And I am not even sure we have custard powder here. I've never made custard though, so I can't say. If I could find that ingredient, I'd certainly give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit this does sound weird but also really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pity the pour soul who doesn't think that rhubarb and custard go together. It's a magical combination, I tell you! I loved that Nakd bar too, and wish they easier to come by out here in the states. I guess I'll just have to make and enjoy your lovely tart instead. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds gorgeous and I'm definitely bookmarking the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never really explored rhubarb... and I'm pretty sure I've never cooked with it. I think this sounds pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're right...it probably sounds like a strange combo in the US...here rhubarb and strawberry is the classic combo.

    Your tart looks delicious! I haven't used silken tofu in sweet mixes very much...I should definitely do it more often. I'm bookmarking this for next rhubarb season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe anyone would think rhubarb and custard a weird combination when it's such a classic in the UK! It looks like a great tart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this flavour combo - it is definitely a thing in Australia but I guess a lot of our stuff came from the UK anyway. I love custard with anything by the way, but I think it balances the tartness of the rhubarb nicely. Plus it looks pretty. Great tart!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts