Vegan MoFo day 27 - My favourite herb or spice? Tarragon all the way

Surely asking a vegan food blogger to name their favourite herb or spice is a bit like asking a parent to pick their favourite child or something. Paprika, white pepper, dill, and cumin are all in the top five - and that's only because lemon and garlic are ruled out by taxonomy and I'm not really sure where mustard fits in - but the top spot goes to that fanciest of herbs, tarragon.
 
I like tarragon because there's not much in the world that tastes like it - it has a strong, distinctive taste that's all its own. And, because it's so strong, a little goes a long way - tasty and thrifty!








Sandwich maker fritters

Ingredients - makes four fritters
Half a courgette
50mls of gram flour
Two tablespoons of water
Scant teaspoon of tarragon
Salt and pepper
Squeeze of lemon juice (optional)

How you do it
Get a measuring jug and add the gram flour until it comes up to the 50ml mark. Add the two tablespoons of water, and mix until you've got a smooth, thick batter.
Get your courgette, grate it into a clean tea towel, and squeeze out as much water as you can.
Chop the tarragon finely and stir the courgette, along with any other ingredients, into the gram flour batter.
If you've got a silicone pastry brush (there might be one in your halls' kitchen), brush the warmed up Breville with oil once it's heated. If you don't have a silicone brush, before you turn the sandwich maker on to heat, put some oil or spread on a piece of kitchen roll and rub it across the plates, then switch it on and allow to warm as normal.
Once the sandwich maker's heated up, take a heaped dessertspoon and place it into one of the divots. Repeat until you've got all four divots filled. If you need to, spread the mix around with the back of a spoon, taking care not to touch the heated plates with the spoon -you don't want to take the non-stick coating off.
Put the lid down and cook for six or seven minutes, until the batter is set through. Serve with veggies or salad for a light lunch.

Comments

  1. Ooh, good call on tarragon. It's not something I use a great deal but I am find of it in mushroom and lentil dishes. I am now wishing that I still had a sandwich maker, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've cooked with tarragon! What a shame! These sandwich fillers look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tarragon is not a herb that i use that often, only when I make Mushroom Strog - I should cook with it more. I love your fritters and now am wishing i didn't give my sandwich maker away, oh I gave it away years ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. FRITTERS IN A SANDWICH MAKER!!!! oooh have you heard about squishing a boiled potato in a waffle maker and getting a nice waffly potato?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't say I'm a big tarragon user, but those fritters sure do look awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. tarragon! what a unique choice! I'm catching up on all my mofo reading that I missed during September, and I don't think I've seen anyone else who picked tarragon. Also, I love that you gave shout out to white pepper. I love that stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts