O is for onion rings


Next up, onion rings. I've always been a big fan of their work, but have never attempted to make my own at home.

A bit of idle Googling later, and I found a recipe on the Post Punk Kitchen for baked onion rings. It was like the recipe was calling my name - time to get a-breadin' and a-batterin'.

The recipe calls for vidalia or walla walla onions. In my unlovely corner of South London, there are but two kinds of onions - red and white, and not a vidalia among them.

Maybe red ones would have been better - they're sweeter and by all accounts sweet onions is what this recipe called for, but who's ever seen a red onion ring?

Here's how they turned out:


The onion rings themselves were a little bit dry, and the breadcrumbs tended to clump together or fall off, making a slightly raggedy-looking ring! I think I'd use panko crumbs if I made these again - the wholewheat crumbs were from a loaf I had to hand, and probably not dried-out and crispy enough for the recipe.

All in all, not the first incursion into onions rings I was hoping for.

I recently learnt to deep-fry stuff properly (it had always seemed too much effort and cleaning up to try before) at Atsuko's Kitchen, a Japanese cooking school I've been to a few times. I'm tempted to give onion rings another go, only this time with a great whacking cauldron of hot oil, and batter instead of breadcrumbs.

At least, that is, until South London becomes the vidalia capital of the world...

Comments

  1. I can only get red and brown onions here, too, so I went ahead and made these but similar issues with the crumbs falling off. I think we both need to have another go - yours look good though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried making onion rings yet either due to not being able to get the right type of onion. Your crumbing doesn't look too shabby at all, I've had way more disastrous crumbling results than this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried these using Walla Walla onions, but thought they were just okay. I definitely prefer my onion rings beer-battered and deep-fried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried making onion rings either, despite the fact that I love them. I'm not a fan of deep frying. I love the result it's just the process that scares me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even we have vidalia onions over here! I've actually only ever made fried onion rings before and they're fantastic (as you might expect) - can't really take credit for them though, Mike's the one handy with the frying. It's not that hard though. Too bad the baked ones didn't turn out super awesome - they do look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had to google vidalia onion. I've seen them called for in recipes but just thought they must be those massive white onions or something. I'm scared of deep frying but love onion rings so I'm not sure why I haven't tried this recipe before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, yum, and yes please. These look incredible!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts