B is for black salt


So, I've been a vegan for three years now and I've never cooked with black salt. Nope, never (and I only tried it for the first time a few months ago.) But, after seeing a million and one recipes that called for it and praised its virtues, I decided it was time to put an end to that situation.

This is the first time I've cooked with black salt - behold, Tofu Ranchero, based largely on this recipe from Blessed Mama on Blessed Vegan Life.


It's jalapenos on scrambled tofu on refried beans on a plate -- and it's lovely. Sure, refried beans always look like they came out the wrong end of a dyspeptic dog, but I won't hold that against them.

I can't be doing with a breakfast that you don't need sherpas to climb up and enough heat to remind you what your tastebuds are for. I want a breakfast that rewards me for getting out of bed, and this one was did just that.

I love Mexican food, and I love it most at breakfast. But how was the black salt? Did my first tentative steps into black salt cooking transport my brekkie from tofu scramble to a mock scrambled eggs?

Er, the jury's out on that one. The addition of black salt gave off the sulphury whiff that I'd associate with eggs, but didn't add too much on the flavour side of things. (My first experience with black salt was at Inspiral Cafe, and it was the same there too - all smell, not so much taste).

Still, it was interesting, and bears more experimenting with. Any top suggestions for black salted recipes? Let me know...

Comments

  1. I just ate lunch but this Tofu Ranchero is making me hungry. WOW it looks great. I love Mexican food and somehow always forget these type of dishes for breakfast. I haven't cooked much with Black Salt but I will let you know if I come up with something amazing to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the same thing with black salt, the aroma is a lot more eggy than it's actual taste. Love this type of dish and I don't care if refried beans look like they've come out of someone's backside because they taste so darn good. Your meal looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not ever tried black salt, so thank you for the review! Blessed Mama does know what she's doing when it comes recipes - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm yet to try black salt, too! I like the idea of it but I was worried it would taste too eggy so I'm glad to hear it's not too strong taste-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have not been able to find black salt except for online! I would only think to try it with tofu scramble too, not sure what else I'd put it in. I know that THe Vegg egg substitute powder is made up primarily of black salt and nutritional yeast. Maybe combining the two with your tofu scramble may achieve and eggier taste?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, refried beans won't win any beauty competitions but damn are they good. Especially all dolled up with tofu! And I remember mentioning back in the day when you first talked about black salt, but I haven't tried anything with it ever. It doesn't seem terribly necessary to me as I like my tofu scrambles just fine the way they are, but lots of people are super gung-ho about it! So I think I have to try it on principle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like what black salt adds to the chickpea flour frittata recipe that VegNews posted a few Mother's Days ago. That whole recipe is pretty fab, actually.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts