Cromwell tart recipe - like Bakewell tart, but vegan

Another recipe I put together for the Jubilee weekend. It's a take on Bakewell tart, named after England's last non-royal head of state, Oliver Cromwell*.

It's not much to look at, but it wasn't half bad. And, if you're a lazy sod like me and use ready made pastry (thank you, Jus Rol, for making many of your pastries vegan), then it doesn't take long to put together either.

Unlike the traditional Bakewell tart, which uses raspberry jam, Cromwell tart has swaps it for marmalade for a more sweet-and-tart effect. (For the traditionalists, just use raspberry jam for the more standard Bakewell, or cherry would work well too).

Like a bit of a dunce, I forgot to blind bake the pastry before adding the filling. Doing so doesn't alter the taste, but it does alter the look -  hence the slightly melted-looking crust.

Another side note - Cromwell tart keeps really well. We were still eating nice, soft slices a week after I made it.

Cromwell tart


Ingredients

One recipe's worth of shortcrust pastry, to line a 23cm tart ring (use your favourite own recipe, or just buy some ready-made)
50g icing sugar
50g caster sugar
75g vegan margarine (I used Pure)
100g ground almonds
1tsp baking powder
1 pot of Alpro vanilla dessert
Zest of half a lemon
60ml non-dairy milk
Marmalade, or other jam

How you do it
Grease a 23cm flan tin.
Roll out the pastry and blind bake according to your recipe.
Meanwhile, cream together the sugars and margarine, then stir in the almonds, baking powder, lemon zest, and mix well.
Stir in the Alpro and non-dairy milk and mix well, until you have a gooey mixture.
When your pastry is ready, cover the base in a thin layer of marmalade or jam (or a thick layer, I won't tell.)
Top with the almond mix, and if you like, flaked almonds on top.
Bake at 180C until done (I forgot to write down how long for when I was making the recipe, but I'd guess 25 minutes or so).

*Yes, I know he's a bit of a tool, but show me a head of state in the 16th, 17th or 18th century (and indeed later) that wasn't. And royalty gets loads of stuff named after them - why not a 'commoner' too?


Comments

  1. Ooh! I've wanted to try a bakewell tart for a while, but this sounds less political :)

    What is Alpro vanilla dessert? Yogurt? Or should I sub in something else in an Alpro-less continent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good question! I think yoghurt would definitely work. I think (and hopefully some other commenter can help me out if I'm wrong) that Alpro is similar to American pudding. Its role here is just as a binder - swap in your egg replacer of choice and you're away!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts