Cheesy twists - a vegan snack recipe

My boyfriend often rhapsodises about a bakery that he used to go to as a child. It roasted its own coffee and so always smelled amazing, he told me, and he'd be taken in there and allowed to pick up a pastry as a treat. Cheese straws were by all accounts one of his favourites.

Obviously, I don't cook with cheese, but that didn't stop me attempting to trigger a Proustian return to the joy of cheesy pastry for him.

Here's my first go at trying to do just that, created for our recent Jubilee picnic:

It's a simple recipe and it looks like just like this:



Cheesy twists

Ingredients
One sheet of vegan puff pastry (I used Jus Rol - I think it worked out around 50g/2oz)
3 tbps nutritional yeast
1 tsp onion powder
1tsp garlic powder
pinch or two of mustard powder
1/2 tsb bouillon powder
Salt and pepper
Nigella seeds
Non-dairy milk

How you do it
Preheat your oven to 220C, grease a couple of baking trays.
Mix together the nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Unroll the pastry sheet and brush one side lightly with non-dairy milk (I used almond milk, but I think most types would work).
Sprinkle half of the yeasty mixture over the top and press down lightly. Sprinkle with nigella seeds if using.
Flip the sheet over and sprinkle on the other half of the mix, and more nigella seeds if you fancy.
Cut the sheet into 1-2cm strips. Twist each strip still it's all curled up, then lay them down on the baking sheet.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until brown.

Comments

  1. Yum, this looks so delicious! It's exactly my type of snack as I adore anything with puff pastry and the seasonings that you have used are very appealing to me. I'll definitely give this a shot, thanks for sharing it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is brilliant. I made a batch and they were gone the next day! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts