Eating vegan in Krakow: Where to get a good vegan feed in Poland's second city

Earlier this summer, I got to spend a week in Krakow. It's an amazing city, with so much to discover. Happily, the food is especially great: here are a few of my favourite eats during my time in the city.

Hariprasad Samosa and Curry
I think on balance, Hariprasad Samosa and Curry was my favourite place I ate in Krakow. It's a tiny place, with a few seats inside and a couple of tables outside, but the atmosphere is warm and welcoming and the food is delicious. There's a set menu of curry (aubergine and cashew nut on our visit), rice, and flat bread, which is made fresh in front on you while you wait. If you're feeling particularly hungry, there are fist sized samosas with sauces as well. Not only is everything absolutely delicious, it's insanely cheap as well. Go hungry, and you'll not regret it.


Mihiderka
There are a few branches of Mihiderka around Poland, including the one we visited in Krakow's district Kazimierz. The menu has the sort of world-food vibe that you get in a lot of vegan places, with burgers, soups, and hummus, and more on offer. The menu is quite small, but there are desserts to be had. I wasn't wowed by the food (my laksa was a bit underspiced) but Mr Flicking the Vs declared it his favourite place that he'd eaten in Krakow, so it's an opinion-splitter alright!

image

Krowarzywa
I loved this place, not only because the food was delicious, but also because it was open til late every day of the week, so you're always assured of a good feed. Krowarzywa serves mainly vegan burgers, with a choice of tofu, seitan, millet or the monthly. If you're not in a burger mood, there are wraps, hotdog, and kebabs to be had, and if you need something extra, there are sides including sweet and normal potato fries and coleslaw. I had a smoked tofu wrap, and it was generously stuffed with sharp tofu and salad, and a wrap that tasted wholemeal. There are also branches in Warsaw, Gdansk, Wroclaw, and a couple of other cities, so if you're visiting Poland, you shouldn't be too far from a Krowarzywa. I definitely recommend checking them out.


Veganic
Despite the name, Veganic isn't vegan, isn't vegetarian - but there are a lot of vegan options on the menu, thankfully. It's a bit more a higher-end gaff than most of the places we went to: the food was good, but everything was a bit more prettily presented than we'd had elsewhere, and the service was very friendly. That's the upside of fancy eateries I guess. The downside: portions were a bit on the small side. Check out the pierogi below - I know it's a fashion to have half the plate bare, but that makes me think I've lost out on half of my dinner! Also - two bits of sweet potato does not a filling meal make. Still, no faults on flavour: I enjoyed the dumplings, and the taster of Mr Flicking the Vs chick pea stew and polenta chips. There's a lovely garden for outdoors eating too. Good food, but don't expect to loosen your belt after you've finished.


Massolit Cooks
A dinky cafe in Kazimierz, Massolit Cooks is a veggie place that does a few vegan meals. We didn't stop for a full feed, but the outside tables were a perfect spot for enjoying coffee and cake while watching the world go by. I can't comment on the rest of the food, but we did see a lot of tasty-looking salads being served. I'm glad I got to share this beautiful slab of vegan chocolate cake though.


Youmiko Sushi
On Sundays, Youmiko Sushi goes all vegan, offering sushi set menus of varying sizes for plant based easters. We opted for a medium sized menu, and perched on the bar to watch our sushi being made piece by piece by the sushi maestros. Every so often, they'd present us with dainty rice and veggie morsel, beautifully made and delicious to eat. It was a really interesting experience, somewhere between dinner and watching a show. There's also dessert sushi if you've not had your fill of rice after seven tiny courses.


Any more tips for fine feeds in Krakow? Let me know in the comments below!

image

Comments

  1. I love the sushi concept especially, but everything sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks great, but I think I'd check out Krowarzywa first!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts