Sausage rolls and a new vegan cake discovery

Mr Flicking the Vs likes walking. A lot. My idea of a good walk is a brief one that ends in a pub, his is something that I'd normally get sponsored due to the number of miles it involves.

After walking from Canary Wharf to Islington high street, Mr Flicking the Vs had decided to end the walk with vegan cake and coffee. The only place we could find with the required plant-based cake was Romeo's Gluten Free Bakery. I don't avoid gluten, but I'm happy to eat any vegan cake, whatever it's gluten status.

When we stopped in, there was only one vegan cake on offer - the chocolate cake. After marching across London, I wouldn't much have cared if it was made of thistles and mould, but still, I was very happy to see a chunk of chocolate laid down in front of me.

We ordered two coffees and one slab of cake. The server gave us two forks - which kind of obliged me to share. Damn you, server - I was going to shovel the whole thing down my gullet unaided. Now I had to give my other half the other half.

Here's the cake in question:


The verdict from Mr Flicking the Vs: "nice, but a bit dry." Man of few words, but he did sum it up pretty well. Tasted pretty good though, and I ate the whole thing, so what's a little aridity between friends?

Back at home, I was pondering what to do with some leftover pastry. Usually, it's cheese-less straws -love those nooch-coated fellas - that mop up pastry scraps. Only recently I'd been to the local health food shop and coming back with a packet of sausage mix for no good reason, I thought I'd make some sausage rolls (that, and Green Gourmet Giraffe posts beautiful sausage roll recipes that always make me drool a little bit.)

The packet mix was a bit on the bland side, so I tried fancying it up a bit with brazil nuts, seeds, and herbs and the end result was pretty good. Next time there's a football match down the pub or a kid's party that needs catering, I'm turning up with a plate of sausage rolls, ketchup optional. Only I'll be using Green Gourmet Giraffe's recipe instead.


And lastly, I love a good kombucha. The only thing I love more than a good kombucha is a good kombucha with money off - so when I saw a shop selling this chia kombucha for a not-wallet-busting price I thought it would be rude not to try it.

Verdict: my student budget may preclude this from becoming a regular purchase, but clearly mashing up kombucha with chai was only ever going to be a good thing.


Comments

  1. That was a decent walk and some vegan cake at the end sounds entirely necessary. The cake looked impressive so it's a shame it was a bit dry, but then any cake is better than no cake. I always admire Johanna's sausage rolls too and yours are equally admirable - they look perfectly formed and adding brazil nuts to the mix is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha, your walking comments cracked me up. I love walking around for hours, but Michael doesn't have the patience for it. Sausage rolls need to be a thing in my life. And discount kombucha is the best, I was at the store the other day and there was a bottle of the stuff for $8, which is crazy (what is that, like 5 pounds or so?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's where I must admit that I've neither made nor even eaten sausage rolls before, meat-full or -less. They look pretty great though, and since I've recently discovered that I happen to love Field Roast sausages, I think this is a meal that's been a long time coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'd rather have my gluten in a cake, but the slice looks super rich in Cocoa! I need to get more creative in the kitchen, these sausage rolls are looking tasty...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sausage rolls look pretty - but I highly recommend the sausage roll version I use - because these sausage rolls are high on my list of things I love to eat just as are chocolate cake and kombucha - I am still in therapy after sylvia spilt a bottle of precious kombucha in the car last year - because it is too good to waste :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll walk for miles if it ended in chocolate cake. So far, my experience with gluten-free cake has been a bit on the dry side. Although having a nice glass of non-dairy milk with the cake usually takes care of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts